Sugar free yogurt: is greek yogurt sugar free?
Do you know what is called as a “white poison”? The answer is “sugar”. If you ask me to give a suggestion to avoid an element from your diet, I will definitely suggest you to cut sugar from your diet. Now a day, the presence of sugar in foods and the amount of sugar we take regularly, is a concerning issue. Consuming an elevated amount of sugar causes serious health hazards. Today, I will try to focus mainly on the harmful effects of consuming much sugar, benefits of being sugar free and sugar free food items such as yogurt, Greek yogurt, etc. Moreover, I will help you to choose the best sugar free yogurt, the best low sugar yogurt, the best low sugar Greek yogurt and sugar free Greek yogurt. By the way, Don’t miss out my another article where i discussed about lactose free and yogurt as well.
What does “sugar-free” mean?
A food product labeled “sugar free” simply means the product is free of sugar. On the other hand, another term “no added sugar” means a different thing. I will talk about this later on. Now I am going to show some facts about sugar free.
According to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), sugar free means that, the product has to contain no more than 0.5 grams of sugar per labeled servings and it also cannot contain any ingredient that has sugar.
Recommended: Best Information about gluten free yogurt.
Sugar-free and natural sugar
There are various whole foods such as fresh fruits which are sweet tasted. They basically do not contain any added sugar, but they are not sugar free because, they have natural sugar (fructose) in themselves.
On the other hand, sour tasted plain Greek yogurt does not contain any added sugar, but it contains natural sugar. Most of the cases, naturally occurring sugars are not much harmful to your health. Generally, the carbohydrate we consume, finally turns to glucose. Like other natural sugars, fructose and lactose, glucose is also a natural sugar. Glucose is considered as the main source of energy of our body. Moreover, natural sugars are also connected with minerals, vitamins, amino acids and fibers which have necessities in your health as well.
Sweet tasted sugar free food products
There are lots of food products available in the market, which are technically sugar free, but they contain artificial sweeteners. Zero calorie sweeteners such as stevia, monk fruit or sugar alcohols such as sorbitol, malitol or erythritol are used as artificial or synthetic sweeteners. These types of artificial sweeteners also may cause harmful consequences on your health.
Sugar-free and natural sweeteners
If you make a food adding honey to it, can you say it sugar free? No, because honey, fruit syrup or condensed fruit juice are also natural sweeteners. If you are on a sugar free diet, you definitely need to avoid them.
“Sugar-free” and “ No added sugar”
There are distinct differences between “sugar-free” and “no added sugar”. I have already talked about sugar-free and now I will show you a comparison between food products which are labeled “sugar free” and “no added sugar”.
Sugar free means the food product does not contain any sugar. On the other hand, the products labeled “no added sugar” may contain any natural sugar by its own. For example, fresh fruits contain fructose which is a natural sugar.
Sometimes, in case of “no added sugar” labeled food products means that, the sugar is restored by sugar alcohol which I have mentioned earlier.
How you can identify added sugar in food?
Sugar consumption can cause harmful impacts on your health (I will talk about those harmful effects later on). Therefore, you need to avoid food or food products which contain sugar.
Now I will provide you some tips which will help you to identify any added sugar in foods or food products.
Read the label
First, you have to read the labeling carefully and then try to calculate the amount of both added sugar and natural sugar. If the amount exceeds the limit set up by FDA, then you have to avoid it.
Look for different names for sugar
Food products manufacturing companies used to follow different strategies to confuse the customers. There are 61 different names of sugars and you might not familiar with all of them. The manufacturers use these names of sugars and use many of them in a small amount. By this technique, they carefully break the law and make you confused.
So, if you know the 61 different names for sugar, you will be able to find them out on a label of a food product.
61 different names for sugar are as follows:
- Agave nectar
- Barbados sugar
- Barley malt
- Barley malt syrup
- Beet sugar
- Brown sugar
- Buttered syrup
- Cane juice
- Cane juice crystals
- Cane sugar
- Carob syrup
- Castor sugar
- Coconut palm sugar
- Coconut sugar
- Confectioner’s sugar
- Corn sweetener
- Corn syrup
- Corn syrup solids
- Date sugar
- Dehydrated cane juice
- Demerara sugar
- Evaporated cane juice
- Free-flowing brown sugars
- Fruit juice
- Fruit juice concentrate
- Glucose solids
- Golden sugar
- Golden syrup
- Grape sugar
- HFCS (High-Fructose Corn Syrup)
- Icing sugar
- Invert sugar
- Malt syrup
- Maple syrup
- Palm sugar
- Powdered sugar
- Raw sugar
- Refiner’s syrup
- Rice syrup
- Sorghum Syrup
- Sugar (granulated)
- Sweet Sorghum
- Turbinado sugar
- Yellow sugar
The list of different names of sugar will hopefully provide you assistance to choose a sugar free food.
Best sugar free foods to eat
If you want to avoid consuming sugar, you need to maintain a sugar free diet. I have given some sorts of sugar free foods below:
Beef and mutton: You can eat the meat of grass fed cattle such as cow, lamb, etc. But, while consuming, you have to maintain a limit because, these foods contain a high amount of protein, fat and cholesterol.
Poultry: You can also eat chickens and turkey and they are good sources of proteins.
Vegetables: You can eat vegetables as much as you can because, they are sugar free. Eating sufficient vegetables also have lots of useful consequences on your health.
Fishes: Fishes of both fresh water and sea water do not contain any sugar. Therefore, they can be included in your diet. Sea water fish contain ‘Iodine”, which is an essential component of your health.
Fermented food products: Fermented foods such as sugar free yogurt or low sugar yogurt can also be a better option. Fermented foods are also a good source of probiotics. So, you are more likely to get enough amounts of probiotics by consuming fermented foods.
Moreover, I mostly prefer yogurt as a sugar free item. The reasons behind to choose yogurt are the numerous health benefits of yogurt and its components. I have talked a lot about yogurt in my previously published articles. There I have mainly focused on its health benefits for both children an adult.
Now, I will show some facts about yogurt which is sugar free.
Sugar free organic yogurt is a fermented food product of milk. Conventional yogurt usually contains lactose (milk sugar, I discussed in my previous articles). Lactose of yogurt can cause digestive problem in people with lactose intolerance. Therefore, the major beneficial aspect of sugar free yogurt is, it does not contain any lactose. So, people with lactose intolerance can eat sugar free best yogurt without any confusion. But, the thing is that, you need to choose and buy the best sugar free Including the best yogurt brand in your diet will provide you a lot of health benefits.
Low sugar yogurt contains a little amount of sugar, which may not cause any harm to your health. So, you can also buy the best low sugar yogurt from the supermarket add this best low sugar yogurt to your daily meal.
Low sugar yogurt for toddlers: Yogurt is often considered as an excellent food for toddlers as it contains protein, calcium, probiotics, vitamins and minerals to keep their body healthy. Although, it is a rare issue, but an infant can bear with lactose intolerant and he/she cannot digest the sugar (lactose) of the yogurt. Therefore, you need to buy the best yogurt for your baby.
Low sugar yogurt for babies: Until 10/12 months old, babies do not specially require any dairy formula except mother’s milk. But, in some cases, babies can be fed yogurt after 6 months of birth as yogurt contains lots of useful components which I have mentioned earlier. Plain sugar free Greek yogurt can also be fed to babies.
Note: For the babies, who have lactose intolerance can can try dairy free yogurt. Read in details now.
Besides these, low amount of sugar is also required for babies. For example, yogurt contains galactose (sugar), which has a large number of biological functions. Consumption of low sugar yogurt may fill that portion.
Therefore, you need to purchase the best low sugar yogurt for your baby.
There are several forms of low sugar yogurt and sugar free available in the market. These include:
- Low sugar vanilla yogurt: Regular vanilla yogurt can contain a higher amount of saturated fat. Saturated fat may cause harmful consequences on your heart health. On the other hand, unsaturated fat has beneficial impacts on your heart.
Vanilla yogurt is especially famous for its flavor. Children usually like it much. This yogurt approximately contains 4.5 percent of sugar by its total weight. It also contains other components of regular yogurt, which are good for your health. So, you can add low sugar vanilla yogurt in your diet.
- Sugar free frozen yogurt: Frozen yogurt is very famous specially for women. Since, sugar free frozen yogurt do not contain any natural or added sugars, you can add it to your diet without any confusion.
There are also several negative sides of frozen yogurt. You know yogurt is a good source of probiotics. But, in case of frozen yogurt, extreme temperature may kill those beneficial probiotics. Therefore, you might not get enough probiotics by consuming frozen yogurt.
No sugar added yogurt refers to the yogurt that does not contain any added sugar. But, it may contain natural milk sugar (lactose). So, you have to consider this if you are lactose intolerant.
Low sugar Greek yogurt also contains a small amount of sugar. I also talked a lot about the health benefits of Greek yogurt in my previous articles. Therefore, adding the best low sugar Greek yogurt to your diet will be a great idea.
Sugar free Greek yogurt is sour tasted plain yogurt. It does not contain any natural sugar or artificial sweeteners as well. Including sugar free Greek yogurt will also provide you lots of health support.
Now I wish to focus on several important aspects about Greek yogurt.
Greek yogurt is a special type of yogurt. It contains a less amount of proteins, fats, cholesterol and increased amount of essential nutrition. The sugar free Greek yogurt is a better fermented milk product for the people who have problems in lactose breakdown.
Low sugar Greek yogurt may contain lactose in a smaller amount and this lactose is also important. Lactose has glucose and galactose, where galactose has a large number of biological functions including cellular signaling. Therefore, I suggest you to consume and buy best low sugar Greek yogurt.
A full cup plain low fat yogurt contains approximately 17 grams of carbohydrates that are all natural sugar. On the contrary, same amount of sour tasted plain low fat Greek yogurt contains only 10 grams of carbohydrate, where 9 grams are sugar.
In case of whole milk, a cup of whole milk yogurt contains 11 grams of carbohydrates, where the same amount of plain whole milk Greek yogurt contains 10 grams of carbohydrates.
Benefits of Greek yogurt
There are many yogurt brands available in the market. From them Greek yogurt is an outstanding product.
Consumption of the best low sugar Greek yogurt regularly will make your immune system much stronger.
Greek yogurt consumption will help you by facilitating the signaling system of your brain and thus it ensures an enhanced metabolic function.
The amount of calorie is very low in Greek yogurt. Therefore, it can reduce the risk of heart disease.
Sugar free Greek yogurt is also a good food for the diabetic patient. Because, it helps to manage the blood sugar regulation.
Consuming yogurt is the most usual way to get probiotics. Greek yogurt is also a good source of probiotics. Probiotics are very essential to our gut as it facilitates the digestive system. I talked about probiotics in my previous articles as well.
Consumption of Greek yogurt also helps to control body mass in both men and women.
Bad sides of food products with added sugar
There are lots of harmful impacts of consuming foods with added sugar. These include:
- Weak metabolism: Sugars absorb essential nutrition from your diet. So, it hampers your regular metabolic function, inflammation and immune responses.
- Digestive problem: Consumption of sugar can cause problem in digestion of foods. Sugars interact with digestive health and prevent regular digestion. Therefore, you may feel bloated, gas, etc.
- Increased fat deposition: Consuming much sugar stored as fat in your body.
- Disrupt blood sugar regulation: A higher intake of sugar may cause interruption in blood sugar regulation. This phenomenon occurs mostly in diabetic patient and it may result in dangerous consequences.
- Disturbed neural function: Researchers have shown that, inflammation occurs by high sugar consumption may hamper regular neural activities.
- Overweight: If your food contains much amount of sugar, extra sugar will be turned into fats and thus your weight will be increased.
- Dental problems: Eating foods with high sugar may enhance the multiplication of bacteria in your mouth. These bacteria are responsible for making cavities.
Benefits of consuming sugar free foods
Earlier I said sugar as a white poison. So, you need to deduct sugar from your diet. It is clear to you that, consuming sugars have a lot of harmful consequences on your health. Therefore, you need to follow a sugar free diet. There are lots of benefits of consuming sugar free foods and avoiding sugar content foods. These include:
- Economic benefit: If you observe, you will find added sugar foods are expensive. So, if you think about the price and the harmful effects of high sugar foods, you will definitely consider again before buying.
- Reduce weight: I have already said that, extra sugar stored as fat and it causes gaining much weight. Avoiding sugar, will help you to decrease your weight and it will also prevent you from obesity. So, you need to consume sugar free foods.
- Decreased risk of diabetes: Diabetes is a health problem associated with uncontrolled insulin production, which may interrupt the blood sugar regulation. Consuming much sugar can cause this interruption. Although, diabetes is generally considered as a hereditary disease, it can be developed in you by consuming sugar rich foods. Therefore, avoiding sugar may help you to prevent diabetes.
- Reduce the risk of cancer: Researches also show that, consuming sugar free foods may also reduce the risk of cancer.
- Improved digestive system: Lactose is a milk sugar, which may cause digestive problem in people with lactose intolerance. There are other sugars, which also can cause a problem in normal digestion of foods. The microorganisms present in your digestive tract, functions well if there is no sugar consumption. So, consuming sugar free foods help you get an improved digestive system.
- Stronger immune system: Your immune system may be disturbed by sugar rich foods. Sugar consumption hampers the release of essential hormones such as insulin. So, consuming sugar free foods will provide you a healthy immune system.
- Improved workforce: Going sugar free will increase your energy and help you to give more concentration on your regular work. Besides these, it may positively impact on your mood and thus you can get more inspiration.
- Motivate you for eating vegetables: Avoiding sugar free foods will make you to eat more fresh vegetables. You can eat much vegetable if you want. Eating vegetables have lots of health benefits. These include:
- Vegetables are free from sugar. So, you need not to be worried about getting problems associated with consuming sugar.
- Vegetables do not contain any fat or cholesterol as well. Therefore, consuming vegetables will be beneficial for your cardiac health.
- Vegetables are full of vitamins and antioxidants. Antioxidants reduce the risk of cancer.
Sugar free yogurt for diabetics
Diabetic patients may face problem with sugar consumption. I have mentioned earlier that, diabetes is a problem related to abnormal insulin hormone production.
Diabetic patients often get confused to choose their food. Doctors mostly prescribe them to avoid all foods that contain sugar. So, Yogurt can be considered as a good choice. Since, it contains a little amount of carbohydrate, it does not increase the level of blood sugar.
The tart tasted plain or sugar free Greek yogurt can fill the requirements of several essential nutrition and probiotics.
Regular yogurt contains sugars such as lactose. Since, diabetic patients have problems with taking sugar, they can take the best sugar free yogurt.
Since, yogurt that sugar free is a fermented milk product, so it can bring beneficial impacts on diabetic patients.
Any types of sugar free yogurt or sugar free Greek yogurt can be added to the diet of a diabetic patient.
Finally, I wish to sum up the article saying that, we need to maintain a sugar free diet. Supermarkets are full of expensive added sugar food products and we randomly buy them. But, you need to be concerned about your health. Doctors also suggest avoiding sugar rich food products. Therefore, you should cut this white poison from your diet to maintain a healthy life. I have talked a lot about sugar free and low sugar regular yogurt and Greek yogurt. So, I believe you got understand all the advantageous aspects of yogurt. All the information in the article is based on researches. My next article will be on “best yogurt for diabetics”.
Gift: Hope you have enjoyed the Family yogurt informal post and for more important post on yogurt you can follow Family yogurt social pages.