Best Yogurt for babies: Let your baby growing up healthy
Did you think about the “first food” for your baby? I assume you did not think about “yogurt” at all. But, you can give yogurt to your baby as a first food. Are you wondering now? No, please do not get worried because I will try to make you understand that why you can do so. Today, my write up is based on the importance of feeding yogurt to your baby as well as when and how you can do that. Moreover, from the writings you can get an idea about when can babies eat yogurt. But, please remember that, all yogurt brands available in the market may not be the right option for your baby and you have to pick the best yogurt for babies. Along with that, Greek yogurt is also a nice choice as it has a lot of beneficial aspects. Therefore, you also can choose the best Greek yogurt for babies.
Note: For more information about baby and mom you can visit the colourful baby website.
Recommended: Updated Information on Probiotics and yogurt.
What pediatricians say?
You probably know that, you cannot feed any other food to your baby except your breast milk before your baby is 1 year old. Pediatricians also suggest that and they do not even approve direct feeding of cow milk for your baby before he/she is 1. Yes, it is true that you should not feed straight-up cow milk to your baby. But, although yogurt is a milk product, it is far apart from milk. I will show you that how yogurt is different from milk later on.
Why yogurt is a healthy food item?
On my previous articles, I have talked a lot about the usefulness of consuming yogurt. Yogurt is not only a tasty food, but it has also several characteristic health impacts. Now I will show you that why yogurt is so healthy and why it is so important. So, let us move on.
- Nice source of probiotics: Yogurt contains a large amount of live cultures. It perform important functions in our gut health and they also facilitate the digestive system.
- Contain essential nutrition: Yogurt contains several nutritional elements such as vitamins, minerals, calcium, potassium, proteins, etc. All of these are so important for our health. Therefore, yogurt can be considered as a good source of nutrition.
- Enhanced immune response and metabolic function: Yogurts help to boost up the immune response and it also improves the body’s metabolism. The calcium and protein of yogurt provide energy to the body.
- Treating infectious diseases: Infectious disease such as yeast infection can also be treated by yogurt treatment. This type of treatment can occur by consuming yogurt or by using yogurt externally directly.
Yogurt can be a nice food choice for the patients of diabetes also.
When can babies eat yogurt?
According to the opinions of pediatricians, there is no problem if you give yogurt to your baby beginning at six months of age.
Most of the pediatricians suggest starting your baby on yogurt on around 7 or 8 months of age. Moreover, they also suggest yogurt as a nice first food item for the babies for six months or more. Choosing the best Greek yogurt for babies is beneficial for the growth as well as other health conditions for the babies.
Note: Why not you check out some of the best books for babies.
Why Greek yogurt?
Greek yogurt can be a nice choice of your baby’s early food. Greek yogurt is unique and contains a lot of nutrition. In addition to that, it contains a higher amount of calcium, which makes the baby’s bone much stronger. Moreover, Greek yogurt is also rich in flavor and taste.
You can buy Greek yogurt from any renowned supermarket. But, you must read the label and the reputation of the company, because, you are more likely to get the best Greek yogurt for babies from a reputed company. Therefore, from many brands and types of yogurt, you need to pick the best yogurt for the baby.
There is an extra benefit of Greek yogurt than any regular yogurt. I have previously talked about that also. The important thing is that, the production of Greek yogurt undergoes straining for several times more than regular yogurt production.
Along with that, Greek yogurt contains almost 50 percent less amount of sugar twice amount of protein than regular yogurt and these are why Greek yogurt is too beneficial. Therefore, you need to buy the right one, and have to buy the best Greek yogurt for babies.
When babies can eat Greek yogurt?
The mostly suggested age to introduce Greek yogurt to your baby is around 8 months of age.
Milk vs. Yogurt
Usually you should not feed your baby cow milk before he/she is 1 year old because, it creates digestive problem to the babies. Before the baby is 1 year old, it is not possible to digest cow’s milk as like as milk formula or mother’s breast milk. Moreover, the direct consumption of cow’s milk can pose harmful effect on the baby’s kidney as well. This phenomenon can occur because, milk has a higher concentration of proteins and minerals. Along with that, cow milk does not contain specific types of minerals and vitamins like mother’s breast milk.
What kind of yogurt can be introduced to babies?
You have to keep several factors in your mind while you are about to introduce yogurt to your baby which includes:
- Avoid low fat: Your baby requires this type of yogurt. The percentage of fat in yogurt facilitates the growth of your baby. Moreover, it provides a nice and creamy texture which will be much delightful for your baby. You can move on to dairy products, according to the pediatricians after your baby is around 24 months old.
- Avoid added flavor yogurt: Yogurt with different added flavors are available in the market. But, you need to feed your baby with plain yogurt without any added flavor. You can make yogurt at home and add berries or bananas to make it naturally flavored.
Can babies eat regular yogurt?
Without any confusion you can give plain yogurt to your baby and I am almost sure that you’re your baby will definitely like it.
According to the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, toddlers can only should fed with breast milk up to six months of their age after birth. After that, the babies can be fed with other milk formula and complementary foods from their six months to twelve months of age.
The best yogurt for babies
The main criteria of the best yogurt for babies are, the yogurt must be made from whole milk.
If your baby is around six months old and your pediatrician gives a green signal, you can give a small amount of whole-milk yogurt to your baby. You may offer plain yogurt to your baby also and hopefully it will be delightful for your baby.
Why yogurt need for your babies
As I said earlier that, baby yogurts are especially whole milk yogurt, whole-milk yogurt is rich in nutrition. Whole-milk yogurt is rich in carbohydrates, proteins, calcium, phosphorus, potassium and iodine. Moreover, some brands of baby yogurts are strengthened with other nutrients such as iron, zinc, omega-3 fatty acids or vitamin D.
How yogurt helps the baby’s health?
Since yogurt has a higher nutritional value, it aids the total well being and the development of a baby. Besides these, there are also several benefits of feeding yogurt to your baby.
- Improves digestive health: Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium are the major bacteria present in yogurt and these Bateria help the digestive system to function nicely. Besides these, persistent supply of lactobacillus helps to keep the digestive tract of your baby excellent.
- Helps in insomnia treatment: Insomnia is a problem with sleeping. More precisely, insomnia refers to a sleeping disorder. In toddlers, insomnia is a common problem. Yogurt contains vitamin B complex and tryptophan, which enhance the generation of serotonin. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter which controls sleep. Moreover, yogurt contains magnesium which relaxes the muscle and provides a sound effect to the body.
- Stimulus the immunity: Yogurt facilitate the generation of antibodies which protects the body from pathogens. Lactobacillus acidophilus improves the gut immune system and the body’s defense mechanism.
In addition to that, yogurt contains vitamin A and D which performs important functions to maintain a strong immune system.
- Makes the bone stronger: I said earlier that, yogurt contains proteins, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and vitamin D. These components are very essential for keeping the bones strong as well as the development of bones of babies.
Besides these, yogurt contains lactoferrin, which is an iron binding protein and it increases the function of osteoblast cells and decrease the activity of osteoclast cells. Both of these cells have the properties of developing the bones and breaking down the bones respectively.
In these, feeding your baby with yogurt will help to make your baby’s bone much stronger, and hopefully it will also reduce the risk of osteoporosis in the future. Therefore, you need to feed your baby the best yogurt for babies.
- Treats diarrhea in babies: A recent research shows that, feeding yogurt to the babies reduces the period of acute pediatric diarrhea. Yogurt contains lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium, and both of them help to maintain the sustainable balance of microorganisms in the digestive tract.
Besides these, E.Coli, Rotavirus, Shigella and Salmonella usually causes infectious diseases to the babies. These microorganisms are mostly responsible for gastrointestinal diseases to the babies. Many studies have shown that, yogurt has properties to fight against infections due to these bacteria.
- A good food during jaundice and hepatitis: Both jaundice and hepatitis diseases are associated with liver. During these diseases, formation of urea in liver increases. Many doctors and different schools of medicines suggest buttermilk and yogurt during these types of liver disease because, consumption of yogurt on a regular basis, helps to reduce the formation of urea in the liver.
- Treating in urinary tract infections: Yogurt help to treat infection causing bacteria which abide in the urinary tract. A urinary tract infection causes burning sensation during urination. It is also a common problem in babies.
Things to consider
You need to keep several things in your mind before introducing yogurt to your baby.
Milk allergy is also a common problem. Allergy is an immune response which can be occurred by the consumption of specific food items. A large number of populations over the world are allergic to milk. According to research, almost 2/3 percent babies have allergies to milk proteins. If your baby is allergic to milk, you need to go for the best dairy free yogurt for your baby.
Finally, I want to say that, it has been established that, the most important food for babies is mother’s breast milk. Without any confusion, no other foods or food supplements can take the place of this. But, as yogurt is a highly nutritious food, it will fortify your baby’s health development. Moreover, breast milk or baby formula should be the major sources of nutrition during the first year of the baby. Through the write up I have tried to focus on the beneficial aspects of feeding yogurt to your baby. I wish to add that, yogurt is not only a nice food for your baby, but it is also a nice and healthy food for you. I suggest you to buy the best yogurt for babies. All the information included is based on recent researches. I hope this post will be beneficial for you and you can learn something new also.
Note: Yogurt Trusted Brand: Chobani, Fage, Yoplait, Dannon, Oikos, siggi etc. And also visit https://thecolourfulbaby.com/ blog as well.