Is Low fat Yogurt healthy: Low fat Vs. nonfat Yogurt
You need fats, but not to become fatter. Does it sound silly or interesting to you? Alright, no problem, it can be. I think you got the topic which I am going to introduce with. Yes, today the write up is all about fats and yogurt. More precisely, today I will be focusing on low fat yogurt and low fat Greek yogurt along with low fat yogurt calories. Moreover, I will try to talk about fat free yogurt as well. However, the benefits and bad sides of low fat yogurt will also be included. Along with that, association of low-fat yogurt and fat-free yogurt with weight loss will also be introduced in the post.
Recommended: Does Greek yogurt contain lactose, What researches say?
What are fats?
Generally, fat is a nutrient and it is an essential component of our diet plan. Since, it is essential, definitely it has some beneficial impacts on our health. Our body requires a certain amounts of fats to function soundly. But, you need to keep in mind that, all fats are not useful or good and there are bad fats as well. Basically, we need the “good fats” and we should avoid “bad fats”. Moreover, good fats help to prevent disease. On the other hand, consumption of bad fats can lead to serious health problems. So, you need to develop a clear concept on both good fats and bad fats.
Biologically, fat is one of the micronutrients like protein and carbohydrate. Fats are also known as triglycerides. Sometimes you may get confused with “fats”, “oils” and “lipids”. But, all three are different in their structure and function. However, all of them are soluble in organic solvent but insoluble in water.
Read More: Latest Updates on gluten free yogurt.
Types of yogurt based on fat content
Yogurt is a nutrient rich fermented dairy product and it contains essential nutrition such as protein, vitamin, mineral, calcium, potassium and phosphorus. Moreover, yogurt is generally produced by the function of certain microorganism. Since the article is about fats and yogurt, I will show you different types of yogurt based on its fat percentage. However, the quantity of fats in yogurt can be determined based on the type of milk used to make it.
- Full-fat yogurt: The percentage of fat in full-fat yogurt is around 3.3 to 4 percent and full-fat milk has also the same amount of fat. Moreover, full-fat yogurt contains a higher amount of protein, calcium and probiotics. Since it is usually made from full-fat milk, it contains all the nutrition and fats of the milk
- Low-fat yogurt: Low-fat, plain yogurt is made by the fermentation of low-fat or skimmed milk. Low-fat plain yogurt calories are low and it also contains nutrition and probiotics. The percentage of fat in low-fat yogurt is relatively lower than the percentage of fat in full-fat yogurt.
- Fat-free yogurt: The percentage of fat in fat-free yogurt is around 0.4 percent.
Trans Fats in yogurt
Yogurt contains trans fats which are also called dairy trans fats. Moreover, dairy trans fats have beneficial health impacts as well. Along with that, the most enormous dairy trans fats are available in yogurt and they are vaccenic acid and conjugated linoleic acid. However, the percentage of linoleic acid in yogurt is much higher than its percentage in milk.
Most of the fat of yogurt is unsaturated fats. Unsaturated fats are also considered as “good fats”.
Why you require fats?
Fats in the diet can increase the taste of the food. Moreover, the amount of fat can make the food more attractive by increasing texture, color and flavor of the food. Earlier I said that, a certain amount of fat is necessary for our health. However, modern diet plan contains foods with high amounts of fats. But, you need to consider the fat percentage of foods according to your requirements. Fats have both positive and negative health impacts. Now I am going to talk about the pros and cons of fats.
The benefits of fats
- Fats are the condensed source of energy in our body. Moreover, fats contain a higher amount of calories than the proteins and carbohydrates have. While we take a rest, the reserved fat of our body provides energy by converting fat to glucose.
- Fats provide a covering to our sensitive organs such as the liver, kidneys, etc. without the coverings, these organs would be more vulnerable to damage. So, fats work as a protector of these vital organs. Furthermore, fats function like an insulator by controlling our body temperature.
- Fats facilitate the processing of vitamin A, D, E and K. All these vitamins are essential for maintaining a sound health.
- Fats also contain essential fatty acids (EFA’s) which play important role in the immune system. Moreover, the human body cannot generate these essential fatty acids. Therefore, consumption of dietary fats can provide these EFA’s.
Bad sides of fats
- Fats contain a high amount of calories. Physical exercise or a particular diet can burn calories, but the remaining calories stored in the body as fat which may result in overweight.
- I said that, fats provide protection to our sensitive organs. But, covering of these organs with too much fat can lead to severe health complications such as fatty liver or coronary heart disease.
- Furthermore, saturated fats are considered as “bad fats”. Consumption of saturated fats is associated with the increasing of cholesterol level.
Types of fats
There are several types of fats, which include:
- Saturated and unsaturated fats: Saturated fats usually result in harmful consequences in our health. Foods that contain saturated fats include red meat such as beef, pork, mutton etc.
On the other hand, our body requires unsaturated fats, which have beneficial impacts. Fishes and fresh vegetables are good sources of unsaturated fatty acids.
- Trans fats or hydrogenated fats: This type of fats is often treated with extra hydrogen. However, it is a nice choice to the manufacturers, but it can cause serious harms to our health after consumption. Furthermore, this type of fat lowers the level of high density lipids (HDL) and increases the level of low density lipids (LDL). Therefore, foods with this type of fats should be avoided from your diet.
- Cholesterol: Cholesterol is a type of fat which is found in the blood. Although, our body has the necessity of cholesterol, but an increasing level of cholesterol can cause serious health problems. The risk of facing problems gets acceleration in the people who do not do physical exercise, smoke and have high blood pressure or diabetes.
Benefits of yogurt
Yogurt is a healthy food with so much nutrition. It is a nice diet option as well. Adding the specific type of yogurt in your diet will provide you with lots of health impact. By consuming yogurt, you will be benefited in many ways. The benefits of consuming yogurt are as follows:
- You can get the important microorganisms (probiotics) by consuming probiotics. Probiotics have importance in the digestive system. For more details on yogurt for probiotics.
- Adding yogurt on your diet will provide a better control in your weight management program.
- Since yogurt is a fermented milk product, it provides all the nutrition present in milk. Some people, especially children do not like to drink milk. In that case, they can eat yogurt to meet the requirements of nutrition present in milk. Furthermore, the sour taste and the characteristic flavor make the yogurt more delicious to the children.
- To maintain a healthy digestive an immune system, consumption of yogurt has an advantageous impact.
- Yogurt is also a nice food for your baby. For more details….yogurt for baby.
- Yeast infection can also be treated by consuming or applying yogurt directly. Although yeast infection occurs mostly in women, men can also get this infection. For more details….yogurt for yeast infection.
Along with lots of benefits of consuming yogurt, there are several other adverse effects also related to yogurt consumption. These include:
- Lactose intolerance: Traditional yogurt contains the milk sugar, which is called lactose. Lactose intolerance refers to a digestive problem created by the consumption of lactose-containing foods, and it occurs in the people who are lactose intolerant. However, lactose intolerant people can also eat yogurt, because there are lots of brands of lactose-free yogurt available in the market.
- Dairy allergy: Yogurt is traditionally made by the fermentation of cow’s milk. Therefore, allergic reaction is a common with the people who are allergic to cow’s milk. But, there are alternative options for these people. Dairy free yogurt is also available in the market.
- Gluten intolerance: Gluten is a cluster of proteins. A number of people are also intolerant to gluten. Therefore, gluten-free yogurt can be a nice option of yogurt for them. By choosing gluten free yogurt can be beneficial for you.
You can find various types of yogurt in the supermarket. These include: frozen yogurt, yogurt low fat, low fat Greek yogurt, fat free yogurt, etc. Moreover, yogurts with different flavors such as vanilla, mango, strawberry or berry are also available.
Furthermore, yogurt manufacturers also produce organic fat-free yogurt and low-fat natural yogurt. From the supermarket, you can buy your favorite brands of yogurt.
If you take the low fat yogurt, you need to be concerned about it’s calories.
Low fat Greek yogurt
Plain low-fat Greek yogurt is a lighter version of Greek yogurt. Greek yogurt has some extraordinary features as well. So, adding the low-fat Greek yogurt is a nice choice to add to your diet
Calories of yogurt which contain low fat
Since calories input and output calculation is important in a weight management program, you need to focus on low-fat yogurt calories. But, your diet chart should be made according to your doctor’s advice.
Low fat yogurt calories per 100 grams
Plain low-fat yogurt contains 63 calories per 100 grams.
Low fat Greek yogurt calories per 100 grams
Low-fat Greek yogurt contains 78 calories per 100 grams.
Low fat yogurt nutrition
A serving of 100g of plain low-fat yogurt contains the followings (an approximate value):
- Calories: 63
- Total fat: 1.26 g
- Sodium: 76 mg
- Potassium: 240 mg
- Carbohydrates: 7.2 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 5.1 g
The benefits of consuming low-fat yogurt
Low-fat yogurt has a less amount of fat and calories, but it is rich in protein. Since it contains a sufficient amount of protein, consumption of low-fat yogurt will provide amino acids which are necessary to maintain the muscle tissue.
Moreover, low-fat yogurt contains sufficient amount of calcium and potassium. Calcium performs a role in developing bones as well as making the bones stronger and potassium also controls the body’s electrolytic balance.
Besides these, low-fat yogurt also contains probiotics. The role of probiotics in our digestive system is enormous. Moreover, probiotics also facilitate the body’s respiratory system to function well. Therefore, while buying a low-fat yogurt, try to pick the yogurt that contains probiotics or live active cultures.
All of these show that, you can easily add low-fat yogurt on your fat-free or low-fat diet.
Bad sides of consuming low-fat yogurt
Although you think low-fat or non-fat yogurt is healthy, but it is not as your expectation always. Moreover, low-fat or non-fat yogurt contains a large amount of sugars and most of the brands of low-fat yogurt contain about 14-18 g of sugars.
Furthermore, several brands of low-fat yogurt contain artificial colors, flavors and added sugar also. These additions make the yogurt less healthy than the regular yogurt.
However, plain yogurt is a nice option and you can add some pieces of seasonal fruits on the yogurt to make it sweet. Addition of fruits will also provide the nutrition of fruits as well as a great taste. Besides this, you can add honey or maple syrup to the yogurt as natural sweeteners and all we know that natural things are much healthier than the artificial or synthetic items.
Since low-fat yogurt contains so much simple sugar and does not contain a higher amount of fat, manufacturers involve adding extra sugar. They show the presence of sugar by writing corn syrup, cane sugar or fructose.
In addition to that, low-fat yogurt does not contain natural dietary fiber.
Recommended: Know the different names of Sugar that used on Product Level.
Why you should eat full-fat yogurt?
Sugar is also known as “white poison”. Full-fat yogurt contains the natural sugar and it tastes great naturally. So, you need to add extra sugar to it. On the other hand, low-fat yogurt often contains added sugar.
Studies have found that, full-fat yogurt is high in protein and calcium. Where, protein and calcium both play important role in preventing several diseases such as cardiovascular disease and hypertension.
Besides these, low-fat yogurt is not an ideal for babies. Low-fat yogurt can be a good option for the adult population. But, if you introduce yogurt to your baby, it should be the full-fat yogurt, because full-fat yogurt is made from full-fat milk, and therefore it contains almost all the essential nutrition of milk. Moreover, yogurt can be a nice first food option for your baby. If it is a full-fat yogurt, it will help to develop your baby’s bones as well as to make it stronger. Along with that, feeding full-fat yogurt to your baby will strengthen your baby’s digestive system, immune system and metabolic function.
Best low fat yogurt for weight loss
It is much more distinct that, from various types of yogurt, low-fat yogurt is mostly preferable in a weight-loss diet plan. Although, some people may think about non-fat yogurt as a weight-loss diet, but the consumption of low-fat yogurt is much more effective in the diet of a weight management program.
While you are on a weight-loss diet, you have to consider several things. First of all, you have to know the nutritional value of foods. Then you have to identify the foods with that nutrition you require to cut your extra weight.
Besides these, the foods in your diet should be rich in calcium and protein, because protein and calcium both play important roles in reducing extra weight.
Protein and calcium both function as controlling your hunger. Foods with enough protein and calcium will provide you with satiety and it will also signal your brain not to take extra foods.
By considering these aspects, you can easily add low-fat yogurt to your weight-loss diet because, low-fat yogurt contains sufficient amount of protein and calcium.
Moreover, low-fat yogurt contains probiotics and probiotics can also help you to reduce your extra weight. It has been found that, certain probiotic strains such as specific lactobacillus species can effectively reduce body weight.
Why is yogurt good for women?
There are several reasons behind to support yogurt for including it on women daily diet. As I said earlier that, women require calcium because calcium from their body get released outside through menstruation cycle as well as breastfeeding. Therefore, they need a calcium supplement diet. So, women should include yogurt to their diet chart. Moreover, eating yogurt for 2 to 3 times a day will provide them with lots of health benefits.
So, let us see why yogurt is too good for women.
The women, who fail to meet the regular requirements of calcium, can develop osteoporosis, which may finally result in bone fractures in the wrist, spine or hip. A standard serving of low-fat yogurt contains more amount of calcium than the same serving of milk. Moreover, according to the “nutrition research”, regular consumption of yogurt provides beneficial health impacts on women.
- Nutritional advantages
Yogurt is rich in calcium and protein, where calcium and protein both nutrients are required and important especially for women. Moreover, a single serving of yogurt contains more protein that present in an egg or a serving of 1-Oz of meat.
Besides these, yogurt is an excellent source of vitamins such as vitamin B2 and B12. Those who are vegetarians, they require more vitamin B2 and B12, because, vitamin B2 (riboflavin) facilitates the metabolism of amino acids, fatty acids and carbohydrates. Moreover, vitamin B12 aids the synthesis of red blood cells as well as it maintains a strong nervous system.
However, yogurt also contains essential minerals such as phosphorus and the mineral aids to keep teeth and bone strong as well as it provides energy by converting protein, carbohydrates and fats to glucose.
- Other health benefits
Along with facilitating weight-loss and nutritional benefits, regular consumption yogurt has several other health benefits to women, which include decreasing of the seriousness of premenstrual syndrome (PMS) and preventing of urinary tract infection (UTI). Researchers have found that, consumption of calcium rich foods such as milk, yogurt and cheese may aid to reduce the severity of premenstrual syndrome.
Another study shows that, consumption of fermented dairy product such as yogurt, aids to prevent urinary tract infection as well.
Besides these, consumption and direct application of yogurt helps to treat yeast infection in women. It is true that, yeast infection mostly occurs in women and it creates an itching problem in the vaginal area. The microorganisms present in yogurt can generate an uncomfortable condition for the infectious yeast species and eventually kills it. Women can get yeast infection through several reasons and there are also some treatments with yogurt are available. For more details..yogurt for yeast infection
However, the probiotics in yogurt are also important for the women. Along with facilitating the digestion process, probiotics also help to digest lactose in women who are lactose intolerant. Moreover, probiotics make the absorption of nutrient faster and prevent other disease causing bacteria such as salmonella, staphylococcus, E.Coli etc.
Since yogurt is a dairy product, women who are in a weight-loss diet believe that it can increase weight rather reducing weight. But, the nutrients of dairy products help to maintain a sound body function. Moreover, low-fat or non-fat dairy products including milk, cheese and yogurt contain less fat and calories. Therefore, it is not required to be worried because, regular eating of a certain amount of yogurt rather helps to lose extra weight.
I want to say that you should be concerned about consuming foods with fat. Because, all fats are not unhealthy and you need them as well. I believe you have realized the post. My attempts were to provide you with some information on yogurts and fats. Moreover, I tried to include the benefits and bad sides as much as possible. I have taken all the information from authentic sources and recent researches. Finally, I wish to conclude saying that, you must be concerned about adding a food on your diet and same as removing a food. Moreover, I suggest you to add yogurt on your diet and the type of yogurt should be your required type. Along with that, from many brands and types of yogurt, you have to pick the right one you need and you have to buy the best yogurt. Hopefully the post will be helpful for you.
Gift: Hope you have enjoyed the Family yogurt informal post and for more important post on yogurt you can follow Family yogurt social pages.
Note: Yogurt Trusted Brand: Chobani, Fage, Yoplait, Dannon, Oikos, siggi etc.