Dairy free yogurt: is Greek Yogurt dairy? Benefits of dairy Free
Can you think about yogurt without the use of cattle milk? Alright, you may say, “strange”! So, now let me make it clear to you. On my previous article i was basically Informed about lactose free yogurt and I discussed a little about dairy free as well. Today, my write-up will be covering facts about dairy free and why you need to go for dairy free. Moreover, I will especially focus on yogurt to help you to choose the best dairy free yogurt. Along with that, I also discussed previously about a lot of the beneficial aspects of Greek yogurt. Therefore, I suggest you to buy the best dairy free Greek yogurt.
What does dairy free means?
The term “dairy free” simply means “milk free”. If you find a food product labeled “dairy free”, it means there is no use of milk to produce the product. There is another term “non-dairy”, and sometimes it may become confusing with “dairy free”. Non-dairy products means that, the product is more likely to be milk free, but sometimes it does not milk free at all. Non-dairy product may contain other components of milk, such as casein, whey and lactose (milk sugar).
Why go dairy free?
All we know that, milk is an essential food for our health. There are lots of the beneficial properties of milk and milk products which make milk as an excellent food. But, the fact is that, there are a large number of populations who suffer from problems with drinking milk and milk based food products. Now a day, many online sources involve showing negative impacts of drinking milk. Dairy free food products are not necessarily free of other milk components, such as lactose, whey or casein. Now I will show you several statistics and it will make you know some facts about going for dairy-free. These are as follows:
- Research shows that, USA people have decreased drinking milk for about 37% then early seventies.
- Another research shows that, consumption of milk by USA people have been 30% decreased over the last twenty years.
There may be several reasons to maintain a dairy free diet chart. You may suffer from some unusual conditions by drinking milk. These unusual conditions may occur to you because you are probably allergic to milk or you have an intolerance to lactose. Now I will talk about dairy allergy and lactose intolerance in short.
Allergy is basically an immune response. A person can be allergic to several foods and food products. Due to the consumption of that particular food, allergic reactions can be shown to that person. There are many people who are suffering from milk and milk based food products. Therefore, they require a dairy free diet to maintain.
Lactose intolerance is a problem which is associated with the digestive system. A person with lactose intolerance cannot digest milk lactose due to the lack of lactose degrading lactase enzyme. There are some ethical issues are also related to this. In modern dairy industries, cows are being fed and genetically engineered in such a way that, their milk production can be maximized. Therefore, the quality of the milk can be reduced and there may be some harmful components as well. Along with that, the vegans are mainly supporting to go for dairy free food products.
How to go dairy free?
If it seems too difficult for you to give up all dairy products suddenly, then you can give up them slowly. At first, try to mark the dairy products that you usually consume and you are very fond of those. Then you can identify the products which you consume sometimes, but you are not that much fond of those. After that, you try to give up consuming the products which you do not usually eat and you will find that, you have given up the maximum percentage. Now I am providing you with several tips which will help you to go without dairy. These are given below:
- You can use coconut milk in your tea or coffee
- To make yogurt, you can use coconut milk also instead of cow’s milk
- To make soups, you can use coconut milk instead of butter as well.
Spreading Instead of using milk butter, you can use peanut butter and in the case of cheese, you can use avocado.
Desserts You can avoid milk to make a dessert. For example, you can use different fruits such as, mango, banana, pineapple, etc. Moreover, the use of coconut milk or almond milk will make your desert more delicious and attractive.
Drinks and smoothies: You can use coconut milk in drinks or smoothies. Most importantly, there are some psychological facts that you can follow as well. Try to make yourself understood about the harmful consequences of consuming milk and milk products and hopefully this will motivate you to go for dairy-free.
Is greek yogurt dairy?
There are lots of dairy free foods. From them, dairy-free yogurt is a better option as it provides you with lots of beneficial impact. Therefore, I again emphasize on buying best one, especially best dairy free Greek yogurt. A person may become disappointed by following a dairy free diet. But, there is a good news for him/her, because, he/she can consume dairy free yogurt and it is so delicious, creamy, sweet and easily available. There are lots of brands of yogurt in the markets. Usually, all the companies marked their yogurt as the best dairy free. But, you need to choose the yogurt which is actually dairy-free. I have seen that many people ask the question, is greek yogurt diary? Answer is some company produce yogurt from Coconut milk, Almond milk or other ingredients as well. So, make sure are choosing the dairy-free by checking the product level.
Yogurt is a very essential food. You can be benefited by consuming yogurt regularly in numerous ways. I also talked about this on my previously published articles. Since, my today’s article is basically on yogurt and Greek yogurt dairy free, I will try to emphasize on focusing the benefits of dairy-free yogurt. In addition to that, the best dairy free Greek yogurt will also be concerned. So, let us move on some important fact about yogurt and dairy-free.
Benefits of yogurt: These are given below:
Yeast infection treatment: Yogurt has an effective capacity of treating yeast infection. The microorganism (Lactobacillus acidophilus) contained by yogurt generates hydrogen peroxide gas and eliminate the growth and kill the infectious yeast by this way.
Good source of probiotics: Yogurt is an important source of probiotics. Probiotics are live bacterial culture and they have lots of beneficial health impact. If you lose useful microorganisms from your gut, probiotic yogurt will help you to regain those bacteria. The amount of live cultures contained by yogurt helps to maintain the balance of microorganisms present in your gut.
Good source of essential nutrition: Yogurt contains protein, calcium, potassium, vitamins and minerals. Therefore, it has the capacity to fulfill the nutritional requirements.
Decrease the risk of heart disease: The saturated fat of yogurt has a greater consequence on heart health. Consumption of yogurt regularly, decrease the risk of heart disease and the cholesterol amount is also very low in yogurt.
Excellent immune response: Consumption of yogurt poses greater immune response in case of infectious diseases or other diseases.
Helps to manage body mass: Consumption of yogurt regularly helps to reduce extra fats of your body. Yogurt can regulate the secretion of hormones that manipulate your appetite. Thus, you will be able to decrease your weight. Excellent metabolic function: The protein portion of yogurt helps to enhance the metabolic function. Therefore, consumption of yogurt is necessary to improve the signaling system of the brain to release necessary hormones. Consumption of yogurt also helps to protect you from osteoporosis.
Benefits of yogurt made without dairy
There are two main benefits of yogurt that dairy free. These include:
- Dairyfree yogurt is an excellent option for a person who is allergic to milk and milk products. Earlier I said about allergic reactions which are specific immune responses. So, as dairyfree yogurts do not contain any milk, people with milk allergy can easily consume dairyfree yogurts.
- Another thing is “lactose intolerance”. I also talked about lactose intolerance earlier. Since, the people with lactose intolerance cannot digest lactose of the milk, they also can consume dairy-free yogurt.
Moreover, consuming dairy-free yogurt will help you to protect you from several diseases which can be caused by consuming regular milk yogurt. Yogurt that is produced by fresh milk can contain a huge amount of fat, cholesterol, sodium, protein, etc. These components can cause harmful impact on your body. Specially, it occurs mostly in people with specific diseases. For instance, if you are a diabetic patient, the amount of protein of yogurt may disrupt your blood sugar regulation control. There are lots of yogurt brands in the market which are so delicious dairy free recipe.
The best dairy free Greek yogurt
There is a great reputation of Greek yogurt all over the world. Consumption of Greek yogurt has numerous useful impacts. The production process of Greek yogurt removes the whey of the milk mostly. So, it can be a very good choice for the people who want dairy-free. There are dairy free Greek yogurts as well. Therefore, you need to buy the best dairy free Greek yogurt. Hope you go the answer of “Does greek yogurt have dairy?”.
Dairy free yogurt for babies
A baby may have allergies to milk or maybe he/she is lactose intolerant. The baby can develop lactose intolerance due to specific genetic construction as well. Therefore, the babies with these types of problems associated with the consumption of milk or milk products, require a dairy free formula. yogurt recipe: Making yogurt without cattle milk, seems strange to you. But, I will provide you a recipe of dairy-free that you can easily make in your home. First, you have to select an alternative to milk. The alternatives can be coconut milk, cashew nut milk, hemp milk, etc. I prefer coconut milk to make a yogurt. So, you can make this yogurt by following these simple steps: Ingredients:
- Coconut milk – 1 liter
- A quarter teaspoon of dairy-free yogurt starter culture.
- Honey, sugar or syrup -1/2 tablespoon
- Agar – 1/2 tablespoon
- First, you need to wash all the equipments with boiling water to remove contaminants.
- Heat the coconut milk at 180º F and stop heating while the temperature reaches up to the mark. Moreover, avoid boiling the milk.
- After that, slowly mix the agar powder to the milk according to your desired thickness.
- Then, add honey, sugar or syrup. These will provide food for the starter culture and without these items, the fermentation process will not carry out as it should be.
- Allow the milk to cool down and then take about half a cup of milk.
- Add your starter culture to the cooled milk and slowly mix it. While mixing, you have to keep in mind that, the starter culture should be added in cooled milk. Because, if the milk is too hot, it can kill the bacteria.
- Then cover it up and allow to get fermented for 7-9 hours at 37-40ºC.
- After 7-9 hours, observe its taste and consistency.
- If you find the taste and consistency still not desired, you can allow it for more fermentation to occur.
- Now yogurt is ready to eat.
Benefits of dairy free
Several evidences of problems associated with regular milk and milk product consumption have been found. Therefore, it is too distinct that milk can cause harmful impacts on our health. So, for several reasons we should go for dairy-free. There are lots of benefits of dairy free. These are given below:
- Reduced bloats: People who are allergic and susceptible to milk, bloating is a common problem to them. Bloating is basically a problem associated with the digestive system. Excessive production of gas cause bloating and it can occur due to the digestive problem of lactose digestion. Therefore, following a dairy free diet will help you to get rid of bloating problem.
- Reduced respiratory problems: Too much milk consumption can cause the excessive production of mucus in the respiratory tract and it can increase asthma as well. Symptoms of respiratory problems are common in people with milk allergies and lactose intolerance. Therefore, avoiding dairy and dairy products can be beneficial for these people.
- Excellent digestion: A large number of people have lactose intolerance. They have decreased production of lactase enzyme and their stomach cannot digest lactose of milk. So, they face many digestive problems such as diarrhea, nausea, bloating, etc. Being a dairy-free, can help those people to get relief from these problems and ensures a better digestion as well.
- Reduced skin problem: Growth hormones are used in cows in many dairy industries. Moreover, cattle are often genetically engineered to produce more milk. Therefore, the milk of these firms can contain harmful hormones, which can affect your skin if you consume. Going dairy-free and consuming probiotics foods and food supplements will help you to get naturally cured from those skin problems.
- Reduced chance of having cancer: Researchers founded that, consuming milk and milk products can increase your risk of developing cancer. A recent research has shown that, high calcium intake of milk and milk products reduce the concentration of a hormone which used to protect prostate cancer. Milk and milk product may also contain contaminants and toxic elements which can also increase the risk of cancer. Therefore, you need to go for dairy free.
- Reduced inflammation: Milk contains D-galactose, which may cause inflammation and enhance oxidative stress. Cutting milk and milk products from your diet will help you to reduce inflammatory responses.
- Prevent milk allergy: Consumption of milk and milk products can cause allergic reactions to many people who have allergies to milk. Allergic reactions are specific immune responses where milk protein is responsible for milk allergy. The one and only way to prevent milk allergy is to give up consuming milk and milk products.
How to choose the yogurt that actually dairy free
You need to choose dairy-free yogurt if you have problems with the consumption of dairy and dairy products. You can choose the yogurt by following these:
- Observe the label: First, you need to observe the label carefully. Look at the list of ingredients they have used. There should be use of alternative milks such as, coconut milk, almond milk, cashew nut milk, etc.
- See the amount of live cultures present: Since you buy and consume yogurt for developing your digestion, you have to observe the amount of probiotics contained by the yogurt. Because, probiotics will enhance your digestive system by maintaining the balance of microorganisms present in your gut.
- See the sugar content: According to World Health Organization (WHO), an adult can consume at best 25 grams of sugar per day. So, you have to see the sugar content of the yogurt and it cannot be more than 25 percent.
- Avoid synthetic ingredients: Try to avoid those brands of yogurts which contain a lot of synthetic ingredients such as, artificial color, flavor, thickening agent, etc.
- Keep in mind the reputation of the company: Most importantly, when you want to buy a yogurt from a supermarket, you need to see the reputation of the company. Because, if you buy yogurt from a reputed company, you are more likely to get the best yogurt which is totally dairy free.
Dairy free foods list
People with problems with the consumption of milk and milk products, should follow a dairy free diet chart. Although there are problems in milk consumptions, there are lots of nutrition present in milk and milk products as well. Therefore, we should find a dairy alternative to fill up nutrition. Here I am going to provide you a list of dairy free foods. The following list shows dairy free foods which you can take as an alternative to milk.
- Coconut milk: Coconut milk is an excellent dairy alternative. Coconut milk can be extracted by blending the meat portion of matured coconut. Coconut milk contains many essential nutrients such as potassium, copper, manganese, phosphorus and iron. Moreover, it is free from lactose which create problem to the people with lactose intolerance. In addition to that, coconut milk contains fat, which is healthy and you can make yogurt easily with coconut milk.
- Almond milk: Almond milk is also a fine dairy alternative as it contains unsaturated fatty acids rather containing saturated fatty acids. It also contains fiber and essential antioxidants. Along with that, it contains probiotics which help your digestion.
- Soya milk: Soya milk is also a dairy free product. It also contains nutritional elements and you can make foods using soya milk instead of cattle milk.
- Plant based cattle milk alternatives: There are lots of plant based alternative milks such as rice milk, oat milk, etc.
There are also a huge number of dairy free foods such as, vegan cheese and creamer, vegan cheese soups, vegan butter, vegan ice cream, etc. are available in the market.
Lactose free vs dairy free
In my previous article, I have talked about lactose free foods and food products. Basically, “lactose free” simply means that the product is free from lactose. People with lactose intolerance require a lactose free formula. There are several brands of milk products available in the market are lactose free. Lactose free food products are not necessarily dairy-free. These foods or food products may contain milk as well. On the other hand, “dairy-free” means the product is free of conventional dairy ingredients. People may have some problems with dairy foods such as, allergy, digestive problems, etc. Therefore, they require a dairy-free formula.
Best dairy free Greek yogurt and benefits
The beneficial aspects of Greek yogurt are too clear. The specialties of Greek yogurt include:
- It contains a less amount of whey, sugar and calorie.
- The presence of live cultures in Greek yogurt is satisfactory.
- It helps you to gain a strong immune and digestive system.
Therefore, you need to buy the best dairy free Greek yogurt. Finally, I wish to conclude saying that, I have tried to make my article more informative. All the information included, are based on recent researches. I have given my effort to focus mainly on the problems of consuming dairy products and the benefits of consuming dairy-free products. So, if you face any problem by consuming dairy products, I will suggest you to eat dairy-free yogurt. Because, this yogurt is capable of providing nutritional elements better than other dairy free products and it has a great taste. Moreover, being dairy-free, you will be able to get a nice functional digestive system. Gift: Hope you have enjoyed the Family yogurt informal post and for more important post on yogurt you can follow Family yogurt social pages.